Saturday, June 11, 2016

Day 14. Herrin ILL to Cairo ILL 70 miles

        I started today on a busy highway with little to no shoulder. Thankfully the drivers were very courteous. From there I went on less traveled roads. I ran into a baby goat along the way.  He was so cute, but scared of me. There were also a lot of wildlife sanctuaries again today. One of the first towns I came to was Vienna. To make sure I was on the right track, I rolled up to a gas pump where a man was just getting out of his truck. He asked if I was there to refuel and from there we continued on for about 15 minutes and I even got new directions for a shorter route. It seems only grey cars honk. That is always a good sign though - lunch time! Larry seems to show up at the perfect moment. I made one more stop before the end - more conversation with two guys wondering what I was doing. I felt fortunate today that I was able to see which way to America and also take a quick trip to Urbandale. Thought I'd gone farther than that.







2 comments:

  1. We are in Illinois too on I80 heading west. Our night stop is Davenport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the Simon and Garfunkel song about being on a bus? "I've gone to look for America." I hope that bus found it's way there like you did!

    ReplyDelete