Monday, May 13, 2013

They ask WHY?

     I started biking seriously in 1994 - first across Michigan ( PALM ) and then across Iowa ( RAGBRAI ).
     Then I thought how interesting it would be to go across the U.S. on my bike.  It is amazing how different things look from a bike seat.
     My goal became 55.  It seemed like a perfect time, but life happens and so does cancer.
I was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer in 2006.  With a fantastic medical team and the wonderful support of family and friends, things are going great.
     Last year I decided it was time to try again.  I did a test run biking to Missouri and this year I am all in with my journey from San Francisco to Des Moines.  My SAG wagon, Larry and Jackson, have already left.  I will catch up to them Friday and we will be on the road Sunday, May 19th.  And what could be more fitting than last week my oncologist telling me he didn't need to see me anymore.  I think that's a good omen.
     So I think that's my WHY, although some people just say crazy should be the answer.
.    Anyway, look out rattlesnakes.  Here I come.


3 comments: