Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 5 Bakersfield to Mojave CA. 60 miles

  Could it be the full moon effect?
  An unusual day to say the least.  Ten miles into the ride, the gears went out on my bike.  Larry appreciated the call at 5:30 a.m. - and so it began.  I kept riding and Larry caught up with Babycakes . I headed out and Larry headed to the bike shop. About 10 miles later, after a couple of guys in the utilities office tried to convince me a bike shouldn't go over the mountain, I experienced a flat.  Time for lunch and a nap. Larry caught up and we exchanged bikes again.  11 miles later I was at the top of the mountain. From there the route became an interstate, not too comforting, so I opted for Larry's Limo. Larry spotted me where I would have gotten off the highway and off I went again. Along came a 6 mile hill. There were windmills all over it, hundreds of them. Neat to see. The day got better after that. They put out a high winds warning. After a 46mph decent, I turned a corner and the wind was at my back.My last 11 miles averaged 28mph without a pedal stroke.  What a way to end the day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment